WHO ARE WE?
Snow Country Instructors are a team of experienced instructors and coaches teaching all levels of skiing and snowboarding in the Snow Country Region of Japan. We're based in Yuzawa, one of the most easily accessible ski destinations in Japan. Yuzawa is surrounded by ski resorts and we offer lessons in all of them. The area is often known as Snow Country, and it gets masses of snow every winter. Our instructors have skied across the globe and have never seen snow like this.
WHAT DO WE STAND FOR?
As a team, we are trying to make sure our customers have the very best snow experience possible, whether they are new to the snow, or they are all-mountain experts.
We value experience, great customer service, a sense of playfulness, and the ability to connect with the people you meet. There are bigger schools around in the area. We like to compete with them on quality and flexibility.
HOW DO WE WORK?
We aren't based in one place. There are about 15 resorts in and around Yuzawa/Minami Uonuma. We work wherever our customers need us. The local resorts we work in are Ishiuchi Maruyama, NASPA, Maiko, Iwappara, GALA Yuzawa, Naeba, Kagura, Joetsu Kokusai. Yuzawa Kogen, Kandatsu, Hakkaisan and Nakazato. Sometimes you will see us giving ski lessons in resorts further afield, such as Tenjindaira, Karuizawa, Nozawa Onsen, Hakuba, Myoko, Shiga Kogen, and multiple resorts in Hokkaido. We head out to work if we have bookings. If not we are free to explore, ski, board, train, or relax.
We believe that learning is most effective when you get direct and personalised feedback. This is why we mainly teach private lessons or small groups of a maximum of six people. Our customers pay a fixed price per instructor. As soon as we get a booking in, the instructor receives the contact details of the customer. From this moment you take responsibility for this customer for the rest of their stay - arranging future lessons, advising on pickups, or helping with proper resort selection.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR IN YOU?
We expect you to work hard during busy periods and play hard during quiet times. Our busy periods are Christmas and New Year, Chinese New Year, the midterm break of the international schools in Tokyo, and almost every weekend of the Japanese winter.
The perfect description of one of our Snow Country Instructors is:
- An independent person who is willing and capable to take care of the customer from the moment they get in contact with us.
- Eligible to work in Japan. This means either being able to get a working holiday visa or have 36 months of experience in the snow industry so we can get you a skilled worker visa.
- Level 2 certified in your main discipline.
- Dual certified, and if this is not the case willing to do a level 1 of the other discipline during the start of the season, held in our region.
- Eligible to drive in Japan. This means you will need to get an International Driving License before you come (and check that the one from your country is valid for use in Japan).
- Older than 26 (due to the insurance on the rental cars that is valid for 26 and over), and being multi-lingual is always a plus.